This time of year, many are ready to head to warmer climates to relax on beaches and get away from Canadian winters. And while you may not think it’s important to plan for your oral health, it is – not only is it easy to forgo your usual hygiene routine while on vacation, you may also run into problems that you wouldn’t think of.
Here are some tips to keep in mind while you plan for your holiday.
- First, make sure you have all your daily teeth cleaning tools – a toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, etc. It doesn’t hurt to bring extras, just in case. Depending where you’re travelling, it may be hard to find these items if they’re lost or forgotten at home.
- If you’re vacationing in a country where the water quality is poor, ensure that you have a water bottle handy to use when brushing and rinsing. Otherwise, it is very easy to become sick.
- It’s easy to forget to brush and floss while you’re enjoying your getaway, but make a point of brushing regularly. If you commit to brushing as soon as you wake up and again right before bed, it will be easier to stick to it. The same goes for flossing – choose a time that will be easy to fit in each day.
- On vacation, there are often so many different foods to eat. That often includes desserts and treats, and it can be easy to get carried away. As always, balance is key. Try to limit sugar whenever possible, just as you would at home.
- Book a dental check-up just before you go to make sure there are no underlying problems that may pop up while you’re away. Preparation can make all the difference! Visit us at Southeast Dental in Markham, and we’ll ensure that you’re headed to your warm vacation with a healthy smile. Call us at 905-471-2002 or book your appointment online.